Superior Concrete Repair in Perth from Conspar
Concrete cancer is the terminology used by engineers, architects and building maintenance managers to describe the damage that results from the expansion effects of rusted steel within a concrete structure causing cracks and spalling concrete.
Outstanding Wall Repair in Perth
As weathering takes place, the capillary movement of moisture and water into these fine cracks, fractures and spalled areas accelerates the rusting process. This leads to further expanding of the rust scale on the steel which in turn continues to break apart the surrounding concrete.
We Offer Concrete Cracking Repair, Too
We have found that buildings located close to waterways and beaches are at a higher risk of developing signs of concrete cancer due to the high levels of salt in the air.
When you need only the most knowledgeable and experienced company to do your concrete repair in Perth, make sure you choose Conspar. We have the knowledge and experience that you are looking for.
Signs of concrete cancer are:
- drummy and delaminated render
- hairline cracks
- spalling concrete
- exposed steel reinforcement
- blistering and flaking paintwork
The danger of ignoring these signs of concrete degradation is that the structural integrity of a fully loaded column or beam could be compromised. Further, the safety of pedestrians or employees could be compromised if the damaged areas are located in work areas or walkways.
Concrete cancer is treated using a simple methodology:
- Site analysis consisting of:
- inspection and hammer test
- visual observation
- photographic recording of affected areas exposing of sample areas for detailed analysis of substrate
- Establishing a scope of works:
- addressing the problem areas with solutions pertaining to standard specifications for remedial concrete repair.
- Specification work may incorporate exposing rusted steel by marking, cutting, and knocking out around the steel reinforcement, fully exposing the affected area of steel, treating it with anti rust treatment, followed by the reinstatement of the concrete surround, with proprietary brand concrete repair products.
- Steel reinforcement has to be replaced if up to 30% of the steel has been affected. Structural engineers are involved in these processes as required.